13 October 2009

My Boys

I have some very terrific boys. Actually the best terrific boys in all the land. I often look at one of them and just know that other moms are probably pretty jealous that they cannot be the mom of my boys.
Brenden is just a few short days away from being 16. That means he will be of dating age, he could be driving (but is not quite yet) and will be advanced in the priesthood to the office of Priest. Oh man, how can that be already? He has grown so much lately - physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually - but sometimes I just find it hard to believe time has come to this point. Brenden is the child that knows the rules, will challenge them if they go against what he thinks and will not hesitate to prove his point. While this can be incredibly annoying as a parent, I know that no one will EVER push Brenden around. He is strong in his standards, convictions, determinations and with his words. He is really growing into who he is going to become. He is excelling at school in eleventh grade (after many years of struggling to stay motivated), is taking his responsibilities more seriously and learning to get along in the world. I love to see this progress!
Something really cool Brenden has done recently is learn to play the organ. Several years ago I taught him piano, but he did not continue for long. A calling from Bishop Budge a few years back had him again at the piano, playing on Sundays for one of his meetings. Brenden started practicing all the time and has become an excellent sight reader. And then the next challenge came - the organ. After a few lessons, and lots of practice, he played in sacrament meeting! It was awesome! I could hardly sing, I was so pleased with him and all his hard work. He is officially a pianist and an organist. He is playing next for a youth cultural event in a few weeks.
He really is growing up.
Colin turned 13 in May. Being in the middle of the boys is probably not the easiest, but he is pretty good at it.
Colin is a natural leader. I think he is so good at it because he always wants to do what is right, and struggles with himself when he makes mistakes. He doesn't blame anyone else for his choices, and others respect that. He has been obedient from day one. It would be easy for someone to take advantage of him, but no one would - everyone likes Colin.
He is currently the Deacon's Quorum president, which gives him lots of opportunity to lead and serve. Just last week, while preparing to pass the sacrament, he helped the newest Deacon make sure he knew just what was expected of him, even helping him fix his tie.
What a guy.
Liam is now 12. Such an important age for a child. He is now a priesthood holder (the newest in our ward), which comes with lots of responsibilities. I'm not sure he is quite ready to take all these on, as he is used to being the "baby" of the family. But he is warming up to it.
It is very rare to see Liam without a smile. He is just such a happy, loving soul. Liam wants to be an elementary school teacher when he is grown up. Can you just picture the kind of teacher he will be? The children will be thrilled they have him (the ones who don't will be awfully sad) and he will be their favorite, with lots of students coming back to visit him. You always remember a teacher that loves you.
Liam is the child with a full social calendar. Lots of friends, lots of adventure and lots of imagination. He will always have good friends, because he is a good friend.
Recently the boys and I were able to go to the temple on a youth trip. Liam's first time. Oh, to see my sons in the temple - It's what I want most for my family, for them to be temple worthy and to be in the temple. The feeling is strong, but not the words. I just loved it!
And I love them. I'm very grateful to be their mom.





1 comment:

  1. You do have some pretty great boys. I'm glad to know all of them!

    ReplyDelete